Having had my two girls, I have packed a hospital bag twice and you definitely learn from the first time what you actually need to pack.
A few of my friends who were pregnant after I had Alice asked me, what I put in my hospital bag. I think because I am known to be organised, they knew that I would have a comprehensive list for them to use. In fact I still have my original list from the time I packed my bag the first time…I know, I should probably throw that notebook away!
So, here is what I packed in my hospital bag when I was pregnant the second time with Holly.
Let’s start with my bag, I used my Cath Kidston Foldaway overnight bag, which was great. It’s a good size and folds away neatly afterwards. I have since used it for holidays to pack the girls clothes in.
In this bag I packed…
- A large comfy nightie to wear when giving birth
- A button down nightie for afterwards – useful to be able to easily breastfeed my baby
- A light dressing gown
- Slippers – because it was summertime for me, I had flip flop slippers.
- Mini fan for use during labour
- Snacks of your choice – TIP – include jelly babies for an instant sugar rush, when you are getting tired during labour.
- Five pairs of big pants – ones that you don’t mind going in the bin. Have about two weeks worth at home.
- Maternity pads
- Nursing bras – I planned to breast feed my girls
- Going home clothes for you – something comfortable
- Hospital notes
- Nappies and nappy sacks
- Vaseline – TIP – put some on your baby’s bottom when they are born, it makes their first poo of, black, tarry-looking stuff called meconium easier to wipe off
- Two babygrows and two vests for your baby
- Hats for baby
- A cardigan for your baby
- Baby blanket
- Teddy bear that my mum brought to sit in the cot with them, when they were first born (she did this for both my girls)
- Purse with change in for the car park
Next, I have my toiletries bag.
This is what I packed in here…
- Travel size shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (travel size)
- Shower cream
- Body cream
- Mini deodorant
- Lip balm – your lips can get sore during labour
- Hair Brush
- Hair bands for when I was in labour
- Lansinoh Nipple cream
- Dry shampoo
I also packed a dark coloured towel, that I didn’t mind going in the bin after the first use. (You will understand why, once you have your baby)
Things I added at the last minute…
- Camera and charger
- Phone charger
- Make up bag
- Present for Alice from her new sister (I gave my mum a present for Alice to wrap up and bring when she came to meet her new sister)
Top Tip – I had a second bag packed at home, this was in case I had a longer stay in hospital than planned. I could then just ask Andy to bring that bag to hospital for me, knowing that I had everything in it that I would need. Therefore not relying on Andy packing it and forgetting things…